Monday, September 20, 2010

Sequin tee and scarf

Years ago, wedding gown and ball room gowns had sequin hand stitched to them. In fact, my friend Jessica made her wedding gown and hand sewed each little piece of shiny metal on her full length dress.

Today, I recently read that to down play the fanciness of sequin, you should wear it in a tank or scarf.

Well, the other day, I picked up a silver sequin belt for $.99. I am going to hand stitch it to a black tee shirt that I have. I can wear the tee shirt alone with jeans, or I can layer it underneath another type of tee or blouse and have it showing around my waist level.

I will handstitch it because I think it would not be good for any needle on a sewing machine and also, if I ever want to take the sequin off, I can use a seam ripper to gently remove it.

If you want just a bit of flash, you can pick up some sequin at a fabric or craft store, and stitch it on the bottom of your favorite scarf. The running stitch is the easiest stitch or a hem stitch to attach a texture like sequin on another fabric. If you are stitching onto a silk scarf, make sure you have the right sized needle so that you won't make pulls in the silk itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment