Saturday, September 18, 2010

Clothing for Men called Boyfriend Jeans

Women wearing men's clothing? I think women have been wearing men's clothing for a century now especially with the jeans. But now, the clothing is called "boyfriend" jeans or boyfriend jacket. Maybe they should come up with a name like "husband's jeans" because I certainly do not have a boyfriend. My husband is my permanent boyfriend.

All kidding aside for a second...

How is a woman to wear men's clothing and have it still look feminine.

I believe what the designers are doing here is making the fit loser, more comfortable and the structure of the piece especially the jacket looking like a men's blazer is comfortable.

The jeans are a bit baggy in the waist and crouch and a loser straighter leg, longer so they pull up off of the shoe. A belt is needed.

The jacket or blazer has a structure in the shoulders, like a shoulder pad, tighter sleeves rolled up to the elbow with a button down blouse and woman's jeans or boyfriend jeans.

Boyfriend jeans look funky I think with a nice set of heels. The heels today are taller than they were during the disco era of the 70's. It is not just the heel, but it is the incline of the shoe, woohoo! Tough stuff. I have tried them. Can't make it for more than an hour. Yes,it is my age, sad to say, wearing alot more flats but I do realize that there is something about a heel with jeans that dresses the outfit up so much more.

Back in the 70's, I had a french teacher who had a phrase for the way I dressed. I have always loved clothing, the colors, keeping up with the styles; I guess it kind of goes with my artsiness. I wore dressy blouses with jeans and high heel clogs. I had a beautiful pair of clogs way back then. The beige leather was weaved and they were about a two inch heel. The pants were polyester with a bit of a flair, lower cut like hip huggers, an opened necked blouse with collar and Farrah Fawcett hair.

You will the same sort of clothing out today. The jeans are torn in the knees and other fabrics placed underneath the hole; sparkly or metallic fabric, black fabric I have also seen in the rips. In the 1960's, we took our jeans and jean skirts, cut the hems off, and pulled at the threads to make them raveled. The more inches the ravel, the cooler they were, the more the pants hung on the ground, the more hippish you were and you could wear mini, midi and maxi skirts. The midi is the skirt that is at the mid-calf level.

I remember taking sewing class and making a cape out of wool with a silk lining. This fall, ponchos and capes of all sorts are very stylish. A wool cape for dress up, a knit South American style for the jeans. The sweaters are even cut with lose dolman sleeves, high collared with large buttons. The sweater vest/cape goes below the hips covering that possible extra weight.

Getting back to the men's clothing. I shopped at the Salvation Army again the other day, looking for a blazer that would come close to the boyfriend's jacket. Found one for $2.50. Now that fall is here, a jacket like this with a tank top will look great.

The post of the jacket is coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment