Thursday, September 16, 2010

Jewelry and rings in Gloucester




Little seaports have vintage and consignment shops to attract visitors. Local women and others from surrounding towns bring their clothing to these shops to earn money or credit. I for one have been trying this for a couple of years; dropping off clothes that I do not wear anymore for one reason or the other, and if the owner likes the clothing piece, the style and fashion, they take them, put them out on the racks with a price they designate, and you make a percentage of the money. I will explain that in a later post.

This little shop in downtown Gloucester has hippie style clothing, where another store up the street has such unordinary, vintage clothing, that my mouth gaped when I walked through. There must be a business for this type of bohemian, vintage look because stores are struggling with our economy for a couple of years now and their doors are opened.

So the question is, "Is my ring a real moonstone or not"?

I would love to have a real moonstone ring-a stone that is white and opalescent with light colors shimmering deep within the stone. Someday, but this day was costume jewelry day. I did not have credit that day, but when I saw this ring, and it's cheap price of $5.00, I grabbed it. I do not have many rings. I love stopping at the little booths in the malls or the expensive jewelry store and gaze at the sparkle of the diamonds, rubies, garnets, topaz, silver and gold, but that going against my budget, does not see my finger. That is ok though, I love jewelry for being an accent piece rather than an expense. I have lost too much jewelry throughout my life to feel a need.

When I was a little girl, around seven years old, my dad pierced my ears with round little piercers'circle earrings that had a sharp needle like point that would penetrate the skin of your ear lobe. Every hour or so, I would squeeze the earring, making sure it would eventually pierce the skin. Dad or mom would mix salt and water or use alcohol to keep the earlobes clean. My dad bought me two sets of cross earrings, as I kept losing one at a time.

Age nineteen, on my way to get on a bus to get to New Jersey transferring to New York and then off to Florida with two of my girlfriends and their mother, I had on a pretty little scrimshaw pendant on a long gold chain. Rushing, grabbing suitcases and trying to keep my purse on my shoulder, my thin delicate chained scrimshaw must have been ripped off of my neck without me hearing it fall or feeling it get tugged. Another little treasure I lost along with countless earrings and long hair and sweaters. Take the sweater off, and off flings an earring.

If you like an accent piece, keep an eye out for rings in the fashion stores. Love knots, flowers, birds including owls, butterflies, gem stones, rhinestones galore are in the rings of today. A ring that fits two or three fingers together is in style. The decoration sits on top of the three fingers, and there are three holes to put your fingers into lilke your middle finger, ring finger and pinky. You can't move your fingers much because they are huddled together by metal, but it is a great fashion. Pick up a ring that matches most of your outfits or perhaps your birthstone. The style is large bling, and if you don't like that, it is o.k., one less expense.

No comments:

Post a Comment